Principal themes of researchs :
- "Research Project on the Training of Educational Agents for Community
Integrated Development in Northern Portugal", under the supervision
of the Center for Educational Studies and Community Development, University
of Minho, financed by JNICT (1988/89).
- "Action-Research project on the Cultural and Educational Development
of Garganta", under the supervision of the General Directorate
of Extension Education, and financed by EEC (1989/90).
- Co-coordinator of the "Evaluation of Rural Extension and Agricultural
Training Project", financed by the General Directorate of Planning
and Agriculture (1988-1991).
- Coordinator at UTAD of the Project "Design Methods for Endogenous
Regional Development", and participant in the sub-projects on "Farming
Systems: Potentials and Problems" and "Extension and Information
Systems for Agricultural Development in Northern Portugal". This
project involved Universities in Holland, Spain, Italy and Greece, and
was funded through the Programme on the "Competitiveness of Agriculture
and Management of Agriculture Resources" (CEC-DGVI - Agriculture)
- Coordinator at UTAD of the Project "Farming Systems and Milk
Production in the High Valleys of Trás-os-Montes and Prospects
for Extension Education Work in Collective Milking Parlours", funded
by the Portuguese Ministry of Agriculture (1994-1996).
- Coordination at UTAD of the "NATURA European Union Training Programme
for Agricultural Development in Southern Universities" (NECTAR),
Thematic Field of Rural Environment and Development Interventions, funded
by DG VI (1991-1997).
- Coordinator of the Project "Population Decline in Rural Trás-os-Montes
and Role of New Activities in Employment Creation", funded by PRAXIS
XXI Programme (1998-1999).
- Coordinator of the Project "Quality of Agricultural Products
and the Protection of the Environment: Training, Knowledge Dissemination
and Certification in Portugal", funded by the EU (2000-2001).
Curriculm vitae :
- Academic degrees
- PH.D. in continuing and vocational education, extension education,
university of wisconsin-madison, usa (1986)
M.CS. in continuing and vocational education, extension education,
university of wisconsin-madison, usa (1983)
- Bachelor sc. in agronomy, instituto superior de agronomia, lisbon
technical university (1978)
- Professional activity
- academic positions at UTAD : professor at at the department of
economics and sociology
- academic positions in other institutions : guest lecturer at the
mediterranean agronomic institute of chania, greece (1994 and 1995)
- pedagogical activity
- teaching of introductory sociology, agricultural economics, and
rural extension, co-teaching of rural sociology at B. sc. level
- teaching of planning and co-teaching of extension philosophy and
strategies, knowledge and technologies in development, communication
in development and research methods at the utad master's degree
in extension and rural development
- director of the UTAD master's degree in rural development.