Principal themes of researchs :
- Structure and dynamics of agro-industrial system : macro and micro
approaches, filière analysis at global and local levels (with
particular reference to extra-virgin olive-oil, fruit and vegetables,
tomato, wheat and tobacco), food consumption.
- Economic organisation of agricultural firms : co-operatives, producers
organisations, interprofessional agreements.
- Co-ordination mechanisms between agricultural, industrial and distribution
firms : vertical integration and contracts ; new theories with special
reference to transaction cost theory.
- Quality and typical products in the agro-food system : organisational
and marketing aspects ; reputational mechanisms ; collective valorisation
strategies and PDO-PGI ; typical products, local production systems
and local endogenous development.
- Agricultural policies and rural policies : institutional and management
aspects ; their effects on filière structure and organisation
and on co-ordination mechanisms.
- 1987 : degree in Economics (University of Pisa, Italy), thesis on
Development co-operation in the Sahelian countries and the role of non-governamental
- 1991 : PhD in Agricultural Economics (Scuola Superiore di Studi Universitari
e di Perfezionamento " S.Anna ", Pisa, Italy), thesis on Structure
and evolution of the agri-food system.
- 1991 to 1995 : Professor of Management and Accounting in High School.
- From 1995 : Assistant Professor in Agricultural Economics at University
of Florence, Department of Economics.